How to improve my school?

I really love the school that I am in, but there are a couple of things that I would change and many students bring up these points in conversations like this. Firstly, we have a small little “restaurant” in our school called “Shady Shack” they sell a wide variety of food; some are healthy but others not so much. In our school in general Physical Education is taking fairly seriously and we want to be a good, fit, healthy school. However, it is quite contradictive looking at the prices of Shady Shack. For instance, a chicken salad is 3500 FCFA- this is about 5 USD, but in Senegal this is fairly expensive for a salad and for us kids. But in comparison a less healthy, oily food like a grilled cheese sandwich which only cost 1000 FCFA. The difference is wild. If staff, educators and parents constantly push us to eat healthy and leave off the junk food why not reduce the prices of the healthier foods to a more affordable price. If this were the case I feel as though more people would buy salads or other healthy foods.

Another thing that I would improve are the sanitary conditions. This is quite straight forward. Yes, we live in a developing country, however, many students believe that there is no effort being put fourth for the bathrooms. The water pressure in our school is really low in some areas (some bathrooms) and after using the restrooms many people do not or can not flush, which leaves very bad odors and that can also led to sickness.

To conclude, overall, my school is really great and I love the environment these are just little things that not just I, but also fellow classmates would want to see change.

6161544586_d13de2b5b2_o-2Β Β  Β Β 5678150449_4751652b64_o

96747171_5bbf403b07_o

28 thoughts on “How to improve my school?

1. Hi Fatima,
    I love how you raised awareness to your schools issues. It takes courage to write an article about wanting to make a change because sometimes people aren’t open to it. This article was extremely in depth and filled with details that helped set the scene and explain the situation. Your school can benefit from an article like this, because it provides critical feedback that can help improve your school.

Keep on blogging,
    Alana

P.S. If you would like to check out my blog please copy and past the URL below into your browser
    alanaaichh7204.blogspot.com

• Thank you so much! I really did try to touch on a subject that many people in our school rant about. Hopefully change will occur in the future.

2. Hi Fatima!
    I’m Kimia. I love the fact that you are trying to stand up for your school and its health. I do agree that your salads should be cheaper than the grilled cheese. I also think that all schools should improve on their bathrooms. Many kids can easily get sick from them. You should visit my blog at http://kimianemat5604.blogspot.com/
    Blog on!

• Thank you for commenting! Yeah, hopeful health and hygiene will improve not only in my school but also other schools dealing with the same issues.

3. Dear Fatima,
    I also would love for this to happen to my school. At my school I have some healthy options, but they don’t taste that great like a real salad would. Also our bathrooms are also not very sanitary and need a lot of work. Since you have written this would you want to do something about it? If you have an idea about what you would like to do please let me know. Lastly, the prices for school lunches are very expensive. The food is only for kids and some people can’t afford this. Mostly if someone gets lunch every day it becomes very expensive. If you would like to learn more about me please check out my blog at hannaroth3104.blogspot.com
    Blog on,
    Hannah

• Hi Hanna,
      Yes, actually at our school, we have something called a grant proposal. Basically, the school administration offers a sum of money ( I think that it was about 100,000 US dollars) and with that students can create projects that will benefit our school. I am pretty sure that people have request for an improvement in hygiene, however, I have not seen much change. I also think that is because we live in Senegal, a developing country, so it is fairly hard to get high tech and maintenance for amazing bathrooms, but I and many other students want to see at least small changes. Therefore, will should keep pushing this proposition. If your school is dealing with the same issues, maybe you should introduce this way of experimenting with your school board, if you do so please tell me how is goes πŸ™‚ Anyways thank you for commenting. I will make sure to check out your blog! πŸ™‚
      -Fatima

4. Hey Fatima,

You wrote an amazing post. It was thought out and well written!!!
    I agree with you 100% on these little changes that would improve our school tremendously!!

Keep it up <3

5. Waow Tima!!! You wrote a very compelling, well-written post; keep it up πŸ™‚
    Personally, it was only the unhealthy choices that bothered me on Shady Shack’s menu, but I was not aware that the healthy options were so expensive. You should definitely consider bringing the ideals of the following article to the board; be the change you want to happen πŸ’―

• Thanks Yacob,
      yeah it is pretty expensive. I feel as though many people have brought this topic up to the board but no changes were made, hopefully, I and other students can change that. Thanks for commenting!

6. Hi Fatima,
    I completely agree with you. I find it ridiculous that unhealthy food is more expensive than healthy food. Also how people tell us to eat healthy but we don’t want to spend that much money. I think they should change the prices and also in the bathrooms its’ true. It’s disgusting to walk into a stall and also at the sink the water pressure is low which is pretty annoying.

• I know right, it is such a contradiction is many schools, at least if they lower the prices, they we can start eating healthy as the people want.

7. Hey, Fatima! Im Jada. Your blog β€œHow to improve my school?” came to my attention. Almost the first thing you mentioned was how your school has a Shady Shack. That’s pretty neat! My school has almost the same problems that your school has except we actually have a salad bar. Our salad bar is practically the only healthy food that we have in our cafeteria. I agree with you on the fact that schools put higher prices on healthy food compared to cheap, unhealthy items. Are those pictures at the bottom of your page from your school? If so, it does look like your restrooms need improvements. Do you have any plans and/or solutions to fixing these problems? Contact me at http://2021cjs.edublogs.org if you need any ideas.

• Hey Jada, thank you for you’re comment. Those pictures are actually not of my school. However, this topic has come up a lot to our school board so hopefully changes with occur soon.
      -Fatima

8. Hello Fatima! I really enjoyed reading your blog because I think that you did an amazing job coming out to say your opinions about changes that need to be done for your school. I definitely say that the healthier foods should cost less so students will buy them more. At my school we don’t really have like a snack stop, we have like a salad bar for the healthy stuff, which of course not a lot of people pay attention to! Also, I would have to say that bathrooms could always use a touch up! You can visit my blog at 2021lms.edublogs.org Thank You!

9. I like your blog. I like how you are talking about how adults what is to eat healthy, but put bigger prices on healthy things. I also like how you said that you guys have a snake shake. I think that is what every school needs. Please come visit my blogs at
    2021asm.edublogs.org.